[httperf] Maximum connect burst length

Tim Terrill TTerrill at synacor.com
Fri Nov 30 06:22:14 PST 2012

Hi Vikash,

My understanding is this:

  1.  Httperf attempts to send requests in a uniform distribution across every second.  So if you ask for 10,000 connections/sec, it will initiate a request every 1/10,000th of a second.  It will continue making requests in the subsequent seconds irregardless of it got replies to the previous ones.
  2.  Httperf does not "assume a request has completed" or "clean up sockets" at the system level.  The OS reuses (cleans up) socket after the TIME_WAIT period has elapsed once the connection has been closed (either due to a reply, or timeout).

I have never used the maximum connection burst length, so I'm not sure how it plays into this.

Hopefully this helps (and hopefully I'm right! :o)
Tim