[httperf] Re: Connection rate is very low

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue Oct 23 09:50:54 PDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 08:23 AM, Tim Terrill wrote:

> Bottom line is: you must keep the number of used ports under the Max
> (around 65k) in any given TIME_WAIT period of time.

Per IPpair and well-known port triple.

When enhancing the SPECweb96 (yes, the issue of TIME_WAIT reuse goes
back a very long time...) code to make explicit bind() calls to use the
range of 5000 to 65535 became insufficient, we further enhanced it to
start using multiple client IP addresses.  That is, it started calling
bind() not just with INADDR_ANY and a port number but a specific IP
address and a port number (cycling through the range), and it started
using more than one IP address.

Just prior to that, we simply used multiple load generators/clients and
got additional IP addresses involved that way.  But it led to very
under-utilized load generators and a higher cost of benchmarking.  Thus,
using multiple IP addresses on the load generators.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones