[httperf] zero results in reply rate

Arlitt, Martin martin.arlitt at hp.com
Fri Apr 12 07:40:39 PDT 2013


Hi Roman

Does the reply consist only of a header (and no body)?

Thanks
Martin


-----Original Message-----
From: httperf-bounces at linux.hpl.hp.com [mailto:httperf-bounces at linux.hpl.hp.com] On Behalf Of Roman Florea
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2013 7:34 AM
To: httperf at linux.hpl.hp.com
Subject: [httperf] zero results in reply rate

Hello,

while using httperf for benchmarking a very simple http server, during some experiments it returns 0 values for the reply rates though all replies were received and no errors reported.
And it happens both on low values and high requested values.
Example output for requested conn rate of 360


httperf --hog -v  --server target --uri "/dump" --num-conn 1800 --num-call 1 --timeout 5 --rate 360 --port 5000 httperf --verbose --hog --timeout=5 --client=0/, what are those 0 samples., what are those 0 samples.1 --server=target --port=5000 --uri=/dump --rate=360 --send-buffer=4096 --recv-buffer=16384
--num-conns=1800 --num-calls=1
httperf: maximum number of open descriptors = 65000 Maximum connect burst length: 1

Total: connections 1800 requests 1800 replies 1800 test-duration 4.998 s

Connection rate: 360.1 conn/s (2.8 ms/conn, <=2 concurrent connections) Connection time [ms]: min 0.4 avg 0.5 max 4.3 median 0.5 stddev 0.1 Connection time [ms]: connect 0.2 Connection length [replies/conn]: 1.000

Request rate: 360.1 req/s (2.8 ms/req)
Request size [B]: 84.0

Reply rate [replies/s]: min 0.0 avg 0.0 max 0.0 stddev 0.0 (0 samples) Reply time [ms]: response 0.3 transfer 0.0 Reply size [B]: header 120.0 content 0.0 footer 0.0 (total 120.0) Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=1800 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0

CPU time [s]: user 3.47 system 1.52 (user 69.5% system 30.4% total 99.9%) Net I/O: 71.7 KB/s (0.6*10^6 bps)

Errors: total 0 client-timo 0 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 0
Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0


This happens on certain connection rates, and also happens for different server and client OSes. The server code is using libevent and simply returns a 200 header for every connection it gets. The issues is seen on autobench progress:
dem_req_rate	req_rate_select	con_rate_select	min_rep_rate_select	avg_rep_rate_select	max_rep_rate_select	stddev_rep_rate_select	resp_time_selectnet_io_select	errors_select
32500	32267.4	322.7	32420	32420	32420	0	0.475	6428.2	0
35000	34694.3	346.8	34816.4	34816.4	34816.4	0	0.7375	6911.9	0
37500	37177.2	371.6	0	0	0	0	0.9	7406.4	0
40000	36438.7	364.2	31454.1	31454.1	31454.1	0	3.3625	7259.2	0
42500	23170.5	231.9	22745.4	22745.4	22745.4	0	25.75	4616.1	0

The other parameters seem fair, and error rate is always 0.
Could someone, please, explain what do these 0 mean and why this might happen.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Roman Florea.




_______________________________________________
httperf mailing list
httperf at linux.hpl.hp.com
http://www.hpl.hp.com/hosted/linux/mail-archives/httperf/



More information about the httperf mailing list