- information extraction: sentiment analysis, term and taxonomy extraction
- information retrieval: classification, clustering
- recommender systems
- cloud platforms
- Best poster award on International Conference on Machine Learning and Data Mining, MLDM, 2011
- Medal of Russian Academy of Sciences for the best research work, 2007
- The best PhD student of Russian Academy of Sciences, 2007 and 2006
- Best Student-Authored Paper on 9th Information Security Conference, 2006
- Winner of personal grants competition for young scientists and specialists of Saint-Petersburg and North-West of Russia, 2006
- Diploma (for research group) for Best Work in the area of artificial intelligence for 2004-2006 in the nomination of ''Applied Research'' (Russian Association of Artificial Intelligence - RAAI), 2006
- Award of the open contest for the best scientific student work on natural, technical and humanitarian sciences in institutes of higher education of ministry of education Russian Federation, 2003
More than 40 publication. Main:
- Alexander Ulanov, Andrey Simanovsky, Mike Krohn. Personalized Report Creation for Business Intelligence. VLDB workshop: 6th International Workshop on Personalized Access, Profile Management, and Context Awareness in Databases, PersDB'12. (paper accepted)
- German Sapozhnikov and Alexander Ulanov. Extracting Hierarchies from Data Clusters for Better Classification. SDM workshop: 10th Text Mining workshop, TMW'12.
- Alexander Ulanov, Andrey Simanovsky. Term Validation for Vocabulary Construction and Key Term Extraction. Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing 2011, RaNLP-11.
- Andrey Simanovsky, Alexander Ulanov. Mining Text Patterns for Synonyms Extraction. DEXA workshop: 1st International Workshop on Exploiting Large Knowledge Repositories, E-LKR'11. http://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/dexa/2011/4486/00/4486a473-abs.html
- Alexander Ulanov, German Sapozhnikov, Nikolay Lyubomishchenko, Vladimir Polutin, Georgy Shevlyakov. Enhancing Accuracy of Multilabel Classification by Extracting Hierarchies from Flat Clusterings. DEXA workshop: 8th International Workshop on Text-based Information Retrieval (TIR-11)
- Alexander Ulanov, German Sapozhnikov, Georgy Shevlyakov, and Nikolay Lyubomishchenko. Similarity-based attribute selection with n-grams. International Conference on Machine Learning and Data Mining MLDM´2011
- Maksim Tkatchenko, Andrey Simanovsky, Alexander Ulanov. Classifying Wikipedia Entities into Fine-Grained Classes. 2nd International Workshop on Data Engineering meets the Semantic Web, ICDE conf., 2011. http://www.mendeley.com/research/classifying-wikipedia-entities-finegrained-classes/
- Alexander Ulanov, Georgy Shevlyakov, Nikolay Lyubomishchenko, Pankaj Mehra, Vladimir Polutin. Monte Carlo Study of Taxonomy Evaluation // 9th International Workshop on Web Semantics, DEXA conf., 2010.
- Kotenko I., Ulanov A. Investigation of Cooperative Defense against DDoS // International Conference on Security and Cryptography. SECRYPT 2007. Barcelona, Spain. July 28-31, 2007.
- Kotenko I., Ulanov A. Simulation of Internet DDoS Attacks and Defense // 9th Information Security Conference. ISC 2006. Samos, Greece. August 30 - September 2, 2006. Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 4176, 2006. P.327-342.
- Vladimir Gorodetsky, Oleg Karsaev, Vladimir Samoilov and Alexander Ulanov. Asynchronous Alert Correlation in Multi-agent Intrusion Detection Systems // MMM-ACNS 2005, LNCS 3685, pp. 366-379, 2005.
- Hierarchical classification
- Document topic indexing and taxonomy extraction
- Attribute mining for sentiment analysis
- Contextual search and ranking for Business Intelligence
- Patent analytics and cross reference search tools
(230.83 KB) - TIR papervalidation-cam.pdf
(180.07 KB) - RaNLP paperShev_Ulan_Lyub_WEBS_2010_revised_May_18.pdf
(272.04 KB) - Webs 10 paper