Fei Chen is a research scientist in the Information Analytics group at HP Labs, Palo Alto. She received her Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2010, under the supervision of AnHai Doan and Raghu Ramakrishnan. Her Ph.D. dissertation is on optimizing information extraction over evolving text.
- Information extraction
- Unstructured data management
- Cloud computing
- Data mining, bioinformatics
- Information Extraction Challenges in Managing Unstructured Data, AnHai Doan, Jeffrey Naughton, Raghu Ramakrishnan, Akanksha Baid, Xiaoyong Chai, Fei Chen, Ting Chen, Eric Chu, Pedro DeRose, Byron Gao, Chaitanya Gokhale, Jiansheng Huang, Warren Shen, Ba-Quy Vuong. SIGMOD Record, Winter 2008, Special Issue on Managing Information Extraction.
- Community Information Management, AnHai Doan, Raghu Ramakrishnan, Fei Chen, Pedro DeRose, Yoonkyong Lee, Robert McCann, Mayssam Sayyadian, Warren Shen. IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, Special Issue on Probabilistic Databases, 29(1), 2006.
- PSORTb v.2.0: Expanded prediction of bacterial protein subcellular localization and insights gained from comparative proteome analysis, Jennifer L. Gardy, Matthew R. Laird, Fei Chen, S�bastien Rey, C. J. Walsh, Martin Ester, Fiona S. L. Brinkman. Bioinformatics, 21(5), 2005.
- A Performance Comparison of Parallel DBMSs and MapReduce on Large-Scale Text Analytics, Fei Chen and Meichun Hsu. To Appear in the Proceedings of 16th International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT-13).
- Entity Centric Query Expansion for Enterprise Search, Xitong Liu, Hui Fang, Fei Chen and Min Wang. In Proceedings of the 21st ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM-12), Short Paper. Acceptance rate: 27.8%.
- Optimizing Statistical Information Extraction Programs over Evolving Text, Fei Chen, Aaron Feng, Christopher Ré, and Min Wang. In Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE-12). Acceptance rate: 17.7%.
- Optimizing Complex Extraction Programs over Evolving Text Data, Fei Chen, Byron J. Gao, AnHai Doan, Jun Yang and Raghu Ramakrishnan. In Proceedings of the 2009 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data (SIGMOD-09). Acceptance rate: 15.9%.
- The Case for a Structured Approach to Managing Unstructured Data, AnHai Doan, Jeffrey Naughton, Akanksha Baid, Xiaoyong Chai, Fei Chen, Ting Chen, Eric Chu, Pedro DeRose, Byron J. Gao, Chaitanya Gokhale, Jianshen Huang, Warren Shen, Ba-Quy Vuong. In Proceedings of the 4th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR-09).
- Efficient Information Extraction over Evolving Text Data, Fei Chen, AnHai Doan, Jun Yang and Raghu Ramakrishnan. In Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE-08). Acceptance rate: 12.1%.
- Building Structured Web Community Portals: A Top-Down, Compositional, and Incremental Approach, Pedro DeRose, Warren Shen, Fei Chen, AnHai Doan, Raghu Ramakrishnan. In Proceedings of the 33rd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB-07). Acceptance rate: 16.3%.
- DBLife: A Community Information Management Platform for the Database Research Community, Pedro DeRose, Warren Shen, Fei Chen, Yoonkyong Lee, Doug Burdick, AnHai Doan, Raghu Ramakrishnan. In Proceedings of the 3rd Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR-07).
- Frequent-subsequence-based prediction of outer membrane proteins, Rong She, Fei Chen, Ke Wang, Martin Ester, Jennifer L. Gardy, Fiona S. L. Brinkman, In Proceedings of the 9th ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD-03)
- Identifying Bacterial Outer Membrane Proteins Using Frequence Subsequences, Rong She, Fei Chen, Ke Wang, Martin Ester, Jennifer L. Gardy and Fiona S.L. Brinkman. The 11th International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology (ISMB-03), poster.
Journal reviewer: ACM Transactions on Database Systems (TODS), Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), the International Journal on Very Large Data Bases (VLDBJ), Journal of Computer Science and Technology (JCST).
External reviewer: VLDB 2010, EDBT 2010, VLDB 2009, VLDB 2008, SIGMOD 2006