April Slayden Mitchell
Palo Alto, California
April is a member of the Services Research Lab in HP Labs, Palo Alto. She is a senior research engineer with user experience expertise. Since joining HP Labs in 2002, April has worked on multiple projects including BiReality telepresence, the DJammer music manipulation device, and Halo video collaboration where she led the design for the original user interface. She received a best-paper award for her research on mobile video behavior, and she co-created and led the experience design for the Gabble video conversation site. April is featured in the researcher spotlight on page 30 of the most recent HP Labs Annual report.
- Global Collaboration
- Mobile User Experiences
- Technology for Education
- User Interaction Design
- Social Properties of Mobile Video. In A. C. Roibas, A. Marcus, & R. Sala (Eds.), Mobile TV: Customizing Content and Experience. Springer Books.
- ACM CHI 2007 Consuming Video on Mobile Devices Winner of Best Paper Award
- ICIN 2007. Conversa: Uniting Mobile Video with a Community-Based Web Service.
- IEEE Hot Mobile 2007 "My iPod is my Pacifier:" An Investigation on the Everyday Practices of Mobile Video Consumption
- The Halo B2B Studio. In S. Harrison (Ed.), Media Space 20+ Years of Mediated Life (pp. 357-368). Springer Books.
- Usability Security 2007 Improving Usability by Adding Security to a Video Conferencing Collaboration System (ref)
Digital Media Manipulation
- IEEE ICME 2005 DJammer: a New Digital, Mobile, Virtual, Personal Musical Instrument
- ACM CHI 2005 The DJammer: "Air Scratching" and Freeing the DJ to Join the Party
Mutually Immersive Telepresence
- AES Convention 2004 A Headphone-Free Head-Tracked Audio Telepresence System
- ACM Multimedia 2004 BiReality: Mutually Immersive Mobile Telepresence
- IEEE ICRA 2004 A First Generation Mutually-Immersive Mobile Telepresence Surrogate with Automatic Backtracking
- 7792901 Reconfiguring a Collaboration Event
- 7698371 Communicating by Video without Replicating Data
- 7613313 System and Method for Control of Audio Field Based on Position of User
- 7324664 Method of and System for Determining Angular Orientation of an Object
- 7558823:WO/2007/140452 System and Method for Managing Virtual Collaboration Systems
- Workshop Organizer, IwS at MobileHCI 11 (13th International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services)
- Program Committee, MobiCASE 11 (3rd International Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications, and Services)
- Steering Committee, HotMobile 11 (12th Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications)
- Program Committee, MobiCASE 10 (2nd International Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications, and Services)
- Program Committee, HotMobile10 (11th Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications)
- Program Committee, MobiCASE 09 (1st International Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications, and Services)
- General Chair, HotMobile 09 (10th Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications)
- Program Committee, ISWC 08 (12th IEEE International Symposium on Wearable Computers)
- Finance Chair, HotMobile 08 (9th Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications)
You may contact April by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.