[Gc] Workaround for problems with GetWriteWatch and
ivmai at mail.ru
Thu Aug 6 06:25:35 PDT 2009
The attached patch does all as suggested below (plus API GC_get_unmapped_bytes() is introduced).
"Boehm, Hans" <hans.boehm at hp.com> wrote:
> > From: Ivan Maidanski
> > 1. MPROTECT_VDB only. As in some cases on Win32 the
> > exception-based approach of incremental collection may work
> > better than GetWriteWatch-based one then there should be a
> > way to select the one. So, GC_PREFER_MPROTECT_VDB macro and
> > GC_USE_GETWRITEWATCH environment variable are introduced.
> This part looks good to me.
> > 2. The values returned by GC_get_heap_size() and
> > GC_get_free_bytes() if USE_MUNMAP. If the memory is unmapped
> > (returned to the OS) then the values indicating the current
> > heap size and the free memory size should be updated
> > accordingly (otherwise, the total heap size of several
> > applications running on a system may become larger than the
> > system virtual memory size, and the memory considered as
> > "free" by one application may be, in fact, in use by another one).
> If the underlying problem here is the values we're reporting back to the user, does it make more sense to just keep track of the total amount of unmapped memory in a separate variable, and subtract it in GC_get_heap_size and GC_get_free_bytes, leaving the internals alone? That strikes me as safer and easier to maintain. Plus we have more information for debugging.
This patch is against the current CVS, it supersedes diff101_cvs fully (which, in turn, resembles diff52, diff75, diff83 partly), it doesn't depend on any of my other pending patches.
* Makefile.direct (MARK_BIT_PER_OBJ, PRINT_BLACK_LIST,
USE_PROC_FOR_LIBRARIES): Fix typo in the comments.
* Makefile.direct (USE_MMAP, USE_MUNMAP, THREAD_LOCAL_ALLOC,
PARALLEL_MARK, STATIC): Update the comments.
* include/private/gcconfig.h (GC_PREFER_MPROTECT_VDB): New macro
recognized (only if MPROTECT_VDB).
* Makefile.direct (DONT_USE_USER32_DLL, GC_PREFER_MPROTECT_VDB):
Add the comments for.
* os_dep.c (detect_GetWriteWatch): Recognize "GC_USE_GETWRITEWATCH"
environment variable (only if MPROTECT_VDB, if the variable is
unset when GC_PREFER_MPROTECT_VDB macro controls the strategy).
* doc/README.environment (GC_USE_GETWRITEWATCH): New variable.
* include/private/gcconfig.h (MPROTECT_VDB): Add FIXME for
USE_MUNMAP and PARALLEL_MARK cases (to relax the conditions in
* misc.c (GC_get_heap_size, GC_get_free_bytes): Ignore the memory
space returned to OS (GC_unmapped_bytes).
* include/gc.h (GC_get_heap_size, GC_get_free_bytes): Update the
* misc.c (GC_get_unmapped_bytes): New API function.
* include/gc.h (GC_get_unmapped_bytes): New API prototype.
* include/private/gc_priv.h (GC_unmapped_bytes): Define as 0 for
not USE_MUNMAP case.
* os_dep.c (GC_dirty_init): Move "ifdef GWW_VDB" block out of
"ifdef MSWIN32" one (for Cygwin).
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 11763 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : https://napali.hpl.hp.com/pipermail/gc/attachments/20090806/94f36096/diff111-0001.obj
More information about the Gc