[Gc] Re: [bdwgc] memory fault with incremental collection (#25)

David Terei davidterei at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 11:29:18 PDT 2013

On 22 August 2013 02:46, Ivan Maidanski <notifications at github.com> wrote:

> Hi David,

OK.

> > Sorry but where do I find the gc7.3alpha3 snapshot? Can't see any tag in git or mention in logs, nor find on gc homepage... What is the git hash?
>
> Just use latest commit from master branch (e.g., 4872305d33) .

OK, tried this, still same error.

> Thu, 22 Aug 2013, 0:02 -07:00 from David Terei <notifications at github.com>:
> >* Trying now.
> >* Yes.
> >* x64 - Xeon E5620, Arch Linux.
> >You can see the changes I made to memcached to integrate the GC here . I believe I'm doing everything correct but perhaps not.
> I've glanced your changes:
> 1. I think you need to call GC_INIT.

Already calling GC_INIT, see here:
https://github.com/dterei/memcached/commit/d9c16343b4e588f82f46acf528b61a9989b11824#L0R4759

> 2. Have you verified that all pthread_create calls are intercepted by GC?

I just went and changed all `pthread_create` calls to
`GC_pthread_create` calls and still got the same issue. I've actually
been running memcached with just 1 thread so as to remove that
complexity and I still get the bug.

> 3. Just performance concern: Why not to use GC_MALLOC_ATOMIC for buffers?

Sure, I'm just trying to get something stable first, plan to try
allocation hints after that.