[Gc] libatomic-ops-7.4.0 not compatible with ppc64le architecture

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Dec 20 06:48:13 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 09:44:38AM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 10:48:14AM +0530, Deepak C Shetty wrote:

> > >Well in my experience libatomic-ops doesn't work at all on powerpc,
> > >at least if run on a power7.  The testsuite fails.  It seems to somehow
> > >get by on power6 and older.  Many things have had bugs exposed by power7
> > >since it seems the power7 really relies on the memory model rules of
> > >the power architecture in ways previous designs did not.  Use of memory
> > >barriers have to be done correctly to work on the power7, otherwise
> > >different CPUs will often see different values in memory due to caching.
> >
> > Hi Lennart,
> >     Thanks for letting us know. We were not aware of it.
> >
> > Would you know if someone from community/IBM is looking/working on
> > this and/or there is any effort to get this working on Power7
> > systems ?
>
> I am not aware of anyone working on it.  I looked at it, but it is beyond
> my skill set at this time.  I think given the complexity of doing atomic
> ops safely on a multi cpu system, it might need the help of someone at
> IBM that really knows the architecture.
>
> I just know about it because we have a power6 and a power7 IBM system
> we run Debian on as a build system, and pixman failed the testsuite on
> the power7, but passed on the power6.
>
> I have been tempted to "fix" the problem by just putting locks in place
> and not caring that it completely defeats the purpose of the library.
> At least it would work.

If anyone is interested I can provide the output of a few runs (it does
not fail the same way every time, given it is multithreaded and all
and breaking things),  Sometimes it fails with duplicate entries in the
stack test, and other times it gets into and infinite loop because it
has managed to make an entry's next point at itself.

I am happy to test patches too.

--
Len Sorensen