[httperf] output - num-calls and num-conns difference

Arlitt, Martin martin.arlitt at hp.com
Wed Feb 26 05:26:37 PST 2014

Hi

The web server you are testing does not appear to support persistent connections. That is why in your first case the output says "10 connections" were created, "20 requests" were made but only "10 replies" were received, and in your second case "4 connections" were created, "8 requests" were made and only "4 replies" were received.

What is happening is httperf establishes a connection with the server, issues its first call on that connection, receives a reply to that call, then quickly issues its second call, before httperf receives the server's indication that it wants to close the connection (which the server may make via a TCP FIN packet that httperf won't see directly rather than an HTTP header that httperf would see directly). You may have to use a tool like tcpdump to monitor the network traffic to see this behavior. If the server is attempting to close the connection via an HTTP header, then would could also try the -print-request and -print-reply options in httperf to see what is going on.